6th Airborne Division :: Forums :: 6th Airborne Operations :: Operation Panther
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Company AAR - Panther
Moderators: Maj. A. Knight, Lt. J. Bailey, Ret. C. Doherty, Sgt. D. Stirling, 2Lt. M. Gray
Author Post
Maj. A. Knight
Wed Jan 27 2016, 07:22PM

Registered Member #91
Joined: Wed Jul 08 2009, 07:46PM
Posts: 2105

Ribbons: 8
Medals: 15

Campaign PantherAAR

Major's Opening Statement

Our mission on the surface was simple: Ensure the survival of President Mubanto’s UK supported government against hostile rebel forces operating within the country against a backdrop of deteriorating and complex tribal tension while managing an extensive aid delivery program (enriched by the never ending series of regulations imposed by Mufanvo Air Traffic Control), all the while protecting British assets and remaining low profile enough to avoid igniting a potentially politically difficult international war amidst a sea of foreign forces manipulating the region for its own benefit and rich natural resources. Okay, maybe it wasn’t so simple but that was the beauty of Panther….

Operation Panther was a continued step in the right direction for the RLC and built on the strong foundations laid by the previous ‘in-house’ campaign, OP Keystone. In a similar fashion the NCGs provided a very effective unified team in the run up to the campaign and both HQ and the unit in general were impressed with the quality and quantity of content that was produced. As with Keystone, Panther broke new ground in the way we operate within Campaigns which included persistent ‘in the field’ deployment, detailed aid missions, an intricate and evolving political theater and increased out of game involvement including Government meetings, requisitions and intel gathering etc. In addition the 6th had to endure tense jungle fighting with limited communications and air support combined with hectic close quarter fighting among the shanty towns of N'Ziwasogo.

The previous training deployment was heavily focused on “Air Assault Excellence” so the expectation of Command was that the Company could react to these new fighting environments with speed and efficiency. This ranged from command utilising the C2 Chopper as well as more independently operated Platoons on the ground conducting wide ranging patrols and exercises relying on Flight’s helicopters for resupply and support where openings could be found. The company worked hard to secure the survival of the host government. This was achieved by fast and aggressive strategy on the ground while simultaneously working closely with allied forces of greatly varying ability and loyalty but in the end the government was secured and the fight turned into a more conventional battle as we moved from fighting rebel towards professional armed forces. However, nothing was too much for the company and we were able to bring a rapid end to the conflict doing what we do best.

“Alpha Zero We Have First Contact”

After a series of long meetings between Coy Command and the regional British Command (Col. Bedford) it was decided that the Company would be immediately deployed onto the mainland to secure what Command identified as the 2 main logistical routes between the 3 major cities. This complicated campaign started with a simple patrol between the southern port town of Bakaho and the northern towns of ‘Forecahira’ , ‘Mussembe’ and Koundara’- the past days had seen government militia ambushed as they had tried to break out of their encirclement from the Fighting Lion militia forces. The company would test the waters and either prove safe passage for British Forces and the aid they carried or would successfully goad the enemy into a fight.

Once the first troops landed NW of Bakaho it was game on, and it was not long until the first contact shout came from 1Plt who were engaged by a small enemy patrol. Until this point Command was unsure on how we would be treated once on the ground and what the reality of the situation in-country was. Any illusions of a low key and peaceful scenario were quickly dispersed. Moving quickly 1 Platoon lead by A/Sgt (now 2Lt) Gaynor fixed and outflanked the small enemy force destroying the enemy in the process. Continuing west the Platoon were soon diverted south to search and destroy enemy in the southern hills which had fired on a friendly helicopter. Nearing their objective a lone rifleman was spotted in the open - believing he was either a scout or a sentry for a larger force the platoon wisely attempted to route around his position to gain a better vantage point. As the platoon maneouvered themselves into position, Cpl Johnson who was attached to 1 Platoon with the Fire Support Group, spotted several hostiles moving towards the west of the platoon at a range of around 300m. The platoon adjusted to intercept the enemy which were moving towards them, a firefight ensued and yet again the platoon fixed and outflanked their enemy with ruthless precision and skill.

ACoy Pathfinders were tasked with moving along the eastern coastline, their mission was to move north and get eyes on the historical border which split the country and its tribes in half. Whilst moving through the tropical shrubbery they noticed movement on the water - reports made their way to command of several boats moving back and forth with no insignia on display. Shortly after this event the small group were ordered to change course and regroup with 2 Platoon after they came into contact with an undetermined amount of hostile forces.

2 Platoon had been heading north, having split from 1 Platoon at a fork in the road shortly after leaving Bakaho. Things were quiet on the northern front, until the Platoon made contact with hostile infantry on the approach to the town of Mussembe. Charging in headfirst, the platoon started to clear the town building by building and for their efforts were met with barrage of fire from the north west treeline and a section was dispatched to deal with them. Without time to breathe, several technicals with mounted weapons converged upon the northern edge of town but were stopped dead in their tracks by the determined platoon.

As the noise settled and the radio frequencies died down, the infantry established harbour areas having sent a message to the ‘Fighting Lions’ - That the 6thAB were here to stay….

As day broke on the second day there had still be no contact established with either the government, their forces or Erinys - the PMC working for the Government headed by ex-British soldier Bob Ferrin. Command were desperate to establish contact and lift the fog of war…

1 Platoon were ordered to continue patrolling and eradicating any hostile forces on the ‘M25’ the MSR which linked Bakaho to the northern towns. The ‘M25’ was critical to our operation, without a safe route on which to transport oil and other valuable trade commodities the country's economy would plummet which would make an already unstable situation even more unstable. (Company Command quickly drew up a campaign strategy to ensure that one our main goals would be to secure the security of the Government’s key economic assets including the oil industry, mining, the urban centres and the main infrastructure in between them including the “M25”. Safe resources meant economic security which allowed better security via PMCs and also more international support.)

2 Platoon meanwhile escorted company command north in an effort to make contact with government forces in the northern cities. During the patrol north several abandoned villages were swept with no evidence of military or civilian activity. Eventually as the patrol approached the eastern border of Zumba, radio comms were established with Erinys - the PMC working for the government. Only Captain Henderson and two bodyguards, Alexander and Bacon were allowed to enter the city.

Once inside, Captain Henderson and his bodyguards were transported to Erynis HQ where Henderson made direct contact with Bob Ferrin, the leader of the PMC in the country. Henderson was briefed on the current situation which was dire - until the 6th’s arrival the Fighting Lions had been disorganised and plagued by internal disputes over pillaging rights with separate breakaway groups forming in the country. The 6th’s arrival in the country and the successful engagement of several patrols meant there was now a risk that the factions would band together in self-defence. At this time it was also brought to the 6th’s attention that several Shell staff had gone missing, believed to have been either killed or taken hostage by the Fighting Lions.

As the light started to fade the troops set up and command began drawing up plans to conduct an immediate search and rescue operation behind enemy lines in search of the missing employees.

“Time to Search & Destroy”

Dawn the following morning the 2 missing groups codenamed Echo and Foxtrot were still unaccounted for. Two pathfinder led teams with supporting elements received a tense briefing from Bob Ferrin before being rapidly deployed by helicopter deep beyond Government held safe areas. Once they left friendly radio umbrella contact was lost and Command eagerly awaited their status updates as they crept through the thick North Eastern Jungle.

Meanwhile, in an attempt to regain some control over the south west and cause a distraction 1 Platoon supported by FSG were ordered to attack a small town that lay on a critical crossroads called Koundara. This town later become infamous as it was often the site of many enemy incursions.

Unknown to command the enemy happened to have been using Koundara as a staging point and overnight the Fighting Lions had been rallying men for an attack. 1 Platoon air assaulted in and conducted a patrol soon it became obvious that this was more than just a small enemy force. After some intense fighting Coy Command redeployed 2 Platoon over to support and together both platoons plus the FSG were able to crush a large enemy force. The quick reactions and rapid deployment allowed us to surround and crush the enemy.

The scale was not truly seen until afterwards when over 150 enemy dead and wounded were counted including a powerful local leader of the fighting lions. Flight noted enemy fleeing north into the jungle, our first critical blow to the Fighting Lions plaguing the economic artery of the country had been dealt. Following this British forces handed over patrolling of the MSR to the ZIA.

During a lull in the fighting Command received reports that the Foxtrot team had located the civilians and carried out some small patrols. They were ordered back to the extraction point along the swampy river delta. However, due to some of the fighting in order to rescue the civilians the enemy had been alerted and were closing in fast. As the motley crew raced through the jungle the Company Command C2 Chopper was dispatched as the nearest airframe. Luckily they were extracted safely but that was more than could be said for Echo team which had not been heard on the radio since they entered the jungle. Bob Ferrin responded, “They were all aware of the depth of the situation and displayed all of the professionalism and courage required for such a mission..”

Taking advantage of an enemy on the backfoot the Company continued on its mission to bring stability by finding and eliminating any enemies in the South West. A key part of Command’s agenda was securing the key economic assets of the region- primarily the Government run Diamond mine on the Eastern edge of our current AO and several oil drilling sites.

Both platoons were deployed into action; 2 Platoon were inserted North of the Mine and pushed south and 1 Platoon were dropped into the south and pushed north. Both Platoons encountered pockets of resistance in the jungle as they passed through. Meanwhile more boats were spotted operating in the waterways, Command’s suspicion of an arms/supplies route behind our lines were further confirmed as 2 Platoon stumbled on hidden enemy supplies and barrels by the coast. The company had been in the field for several days and supplies were running low, this situation was made critical when due to a logistical error the supplies boxes were lost. Despite this both Platoons continued on their patrols a radio message was received that the Government forces at the diamond mine was under attack. A speedy response from both platoons ensured a determined enemy force was pushed back saving the lives of many ZIA. As a direct result of this Coy Command issued out evacuation and defense procedures for Civilian workers in and around the AO.

Despite the rescue of the Diamond mine 1 Platoon had gained evidence that more than just the FL’s were operating in the AO as well as 2 Platoon noting surprisingly high enemy numbers within the town of Sao Domingos (the largest town in the economic heartland of the East).

In the Final phase of this Search and Destroy operation that was well into its third day the Coy planned to assault the town of Sao Domingos in a pincer like motion. 1 Platoon with PF on the West and 2 Plt with FSG on the East. Ammo and supplies were low but Command insisted we keep the momentum up.The towns of Sao Domingos and Mutare (Codenamed Objective India and Quebec) were to be secured. This would ensure the assets of economic importance remained secured and assist in the deliverance of aid to the region.

As the sun rose through the mist, helicopters flying low above the trees descended on Sao Domingos. The Platoons were low on ammo but morale was high as the chinooks spun round to drop them off. 1 Platoon stormed into the outlying shantytowns, tired enemies stumbled out to be gunned down as the Platoon crashed through. 2 Platoon and FSG simultaneously hit the other side of the town, FSG quickly deployed to the rooftops and together the enemy strongpoint was crushed. This allowed the platoons to move onto their other objectives.

Meanwhile Pathfinders were on the hunt for the missing supplies as were any additional flight assets but it just so happened that the C2 bird spotted 3 boats racing out of the river estuary. After a dramatic chase and several warnings the boats were stopped and a portion of 6th gear was recovered. However, a majority was still missing and all of the hard work that the company had done to bring stability to the south west could be ruined without ammo or even worse with the enemy possessing our weaponry.

"Better Run through the Jungle..."

The next day was spent covering as much jungle as possible to find our supplies and hunt any remaining enemy who had scattered to the wind following the Company's ruthless hunt. Command knew that for the 6th to turn to the increasingly hostile north the south had to be handed to the ZIA in a secure state (and quickly).

Pathfinders and the platoons started a systematic sweep of the massive southern jungles marked with high mountains and dense swamps. Erinys recon teams combined with flight assets attempted to provide as much intel as possible , however the difficult terrain made progress slow.

2 Platoon moved from objective to objective underneath the canopy but just found empty objectives with the exception of a friendly recon team. 1 Platoon encountered a similar scenario but then both Platoons came under sudden attack. Sporadic enemy forces emerged from the jungles and the Platoons were left embroiled in a messy fight. Luckily flight were able to provide consistent resupply but 1 Platoon found themselves cut off and the difficult landscape made a successful landing challenging.

Simultaneously 2 Platoon took heavy fire from their third objective, it was identified that the enemy had both russian and british weaponry confirming Command’s fears of stolen equipment. Both Platoons were able to fight their way out but the main cache had still not been found. So far a few small boxes had been found by the teams, flight had captured some boats with some more equipment and the ZIA and held up some vehicles on the roads but it was not enough.

Just as the Company was about to redeploy FSG stumbled upon a small settlement in the western edge of the southern jungle area. Upon inspection it was clear that this had been the main cache area. The FL forces had hidden it here to avoid detection but the village was suspiciously empty. Due to a lack of available transport the command C2 chopper was landed in a clearing and the men began loading supplies. However, before it was finished the enemy returned to find British soldiers stealing back their old equipment! A firefight broke out but the FSG were able to lay down enough withering fire for the command team to casually stroll with dignity to the waiting airframe and depart.

Command were now happy to switch focus to to unruly pseudo border zone to the North and East….

The company’s intention was to push the frontline north east and stabilize the area around Nhaca. ISTARs on Nhaca showed no thermal contacts at all and the company landed in the middle of the town. The company came under contact as soon as we got out of the choppers.

The company immediately started to clear out the town and met heavy resistance. FSG set up a firing position whilst the platoons cleared their designated parts. Even though the company took a lot of casualties, we still managed to clear the town, for now. 2 Platoon got picked up by flight and moved to their second objective whilst 1 Platoon prepared to push through the jungle to clear a comms outpost which had confirmed hostiles around it. After 2 Platoon was reinserted to take their second objective, 1 Platoon came under heavy fire when the enemy decided to counter attack Nhaca. Heavy fighting went on, and 1 platoon were unable to move to their second objective. After a long period of time with waves of enemy moving in on their position, the firefight finally stopped and allowed 1 Platoon to get picked up for RTB.

In the meantime 2 Platoon and FSG were heading to objective whiskey, a small town east of Nhaca and south of Rusape. Right after the insertion 2 Platoon and FSG established visual on the objective and saw some fortified positions there. The platoon pushed through whilst FSG was covering their approach. The platoon didn’t meet any heavy resistance and the town was eventually taken. After a successful assault, 2 Platoon and FSG moved to a small hut village to the south of obj. whiskey. They quickly pushed through and the village was empty. FSG did spot a civilian, but he managed to escape into the jungle.

"That’s an African Sunset"

It was hoped that the Company’s operations in the south and east had relieved some pressure off the main urban areas including the Capital city, Kedougou. However, while the 6th had been busy with this the enemy had been pushing closer and closer towards the capital- the ZIA with help from their PMC’s had been able to slow them but it became clear that it was only a matter of time before an attack was mounted.

Command had recommended the evacuation of foreign nationals as well as increased ZIA presence. Discussions with both Ferrin and Bedford had continued to build on the regional security plans. The plan was to eliminate the remaining enemy in the southeast that intel showed were massing for an attack and then move to the city outskirts to gather intel on the enemy to the north. Command was not sure how soon the enemy would attack but it turned out to be sooner than expected….

The first order of the day was an enemy communication outpost to the east which was believed to be aiding in the coordination of the enemy. 1 Platoon were air assaulted in early and stormed the compound, the 4 enemy on patrol were quickly overwhelmed by the aggressive force. Much to the surprise of 1 Platoons assaulting team 15 to 20 enemies emerged from their barracks, awoken by the fighting and a desperate battle took place. Within minutes the comms outpost was secured. As the attack drew to a close command were receiving reports that the ZIA were being engaged north of the Capital City and were pulling back- time had ran out.

The company was QRF’ed to predetermined positions at key crossroads around the city. Unfortunately the ZIA forces completely buckled under the pressure and hundreds surrendered or ran leaving some of the main roads to the city undefended. This meant that 1 platoon had landed behind the enemy attacking force they were planning to ambush so they conducted a hasty tab back towards the town and the sound of gunfire. Meanwhile 2 Platoon were moved to crossroads “York” to the north to assist the ZIA garrison but on route the garrison was overrun so 2 platoon were taken directly to Enrysis HQ and told to defend it at all costs as it was the last hardpoint defending the NW of the city.

As the sun began to set the C2 bird continued to orbit the now sieged city. The encroaching gloom was broken by the burst of mortar fire; the new and better equipped enemy forces from across the border had carried mortars with them. While 1 Platoon battled through the centre of town mopping up enemies who had already broken in they came under increased fire and were ordered to defend the town square at all costs as it was one of the only feasible HLS locations for re inserts and ammo resupply.

The next half an hour devolved into a desperate struggle as the enemy attacked through the darkness attempting to overrun the HLS. Despite coming under crippling artillery 1 Platoon with the help of FSG were able to keep the HLS under friendly control allowing a vital lifeline to the city to remain open. As brave pilots approached the city the smoke stacks and fires were clear from miles away. Burning vehicle wrecks, mortar explosions combined with green and red tracer fire to generate a vivid african sunset. Chinooks made incredibly dangerous supply runs as they navigated between the buildings of the burning city to pick up wounded and drop off men and ammo. All the while being peppered with small arms fire and shrapnel from explosions.

While the center of the city was being fought over the northern edge was buckling under sustained enemy attack. 2 Platoon under the temporary command of CSM Hawkins, was defending the Erinys HQ but due to intense mortar fire they chose to withdraw with Erinys in their vehicles. Unfortunately during this action Bob Ferrin was missing presumed KIA along with the majority of his force of British PMCs as the convoy was devastated by a direct mortar hit.

The remnants of 2 platoon also withdrew to the center of town to continue the fight. After another desperate hour of fighting the enemy withdrew, having suffered heavy casualties. The 6th had lost more men in one battle than they had during the entire of the campaign so far and returned to the now deserted ZIA bases to recover, ready to spring out while the enemy were still reeling...

"We're on the Rebound"

The company were ordered to regain control of the NW of the region and provide a secure buffer to the cities following the previous large scale attacks by taking two of the main towns in that area, Bissora and Canchunga. Initially that plan was to strike at Bissora as a full company assault then move onto the second town assaulting it in a similar fashion.

1 Platoon and FSG moved towards their FRV to prepare for the assault on Bissora, they encountered 3 BTRs multiple technicals and a lot of infantry. One BTR noticed their presence and FSG swifty took it out when 1 PLT were in a more easily defendable position. The PLT took a lot of casualties and few KIAs from the technical but managed to maintain the aggression through the town and eventually clear it out with 8 members remaining, all of whom were tier 2 casualties or worse. The reinserts moved down south to assist 2PLT in clearing their town.

2 Platoon moved straight to the north of Bissora in order to the clear a small settlement to ensure an ambush wouldn’t happen during the assault on Bissora, when 2 Platoon reached the settlements it seemed clear, but they were suddenly ambushed themselves. The Platoon was forced to withdraw to get fixed up at the base, which meant they wouldn’t be able to assist 1 Platoon in the assault on Bissora. The Platoon eventually got reinserted and was ordered to move straight to the south in order to clear Canchunga of enemy forces. The town of Canchunga was quickly taken and one section worth of 1 Platoon guys assisted 2 Platoon in maintaining the security around the town.

Next the company were to push the front line further east, this was to be done by clearing the settlements just east of Canchunga and clearing the town of Mansoa, which were located further north east.

1 Platoon landed alongside with FSG at a HLS near Canchunga in order to perform a company sweep on the settlements east of Canchunga. 1 Platoon started pushing alongside FSG towards the obj from the south, they quickly got a foothold between the Settlements and FSG was setting up a firing position. The Platoon quickly started pushing through the settlements until the sectors were clear. After a successful sweep through their sector of the settlements, 1 Platoon and FSG were awaiting their pickup in order to move to Mansoa. 1 Platoon and FSG landed at the HLS near Mansoa and started to push towards their set up point. When reaching Mansoa, 1 Platoon took contact before entering the town, FSG quickly set up an firing position to assist 1 Platoon in their assault on the southern sector. When the contact was dealt with, 1 Platoon assaulted into the town to clear the southern sector.

2 Platoon were sat at Canchunga awaiting for FSG and 1 Platoons arrival. As soon as they arrived 2 Platoon started to move towards their set up point to sweep through the settlements to the east of Canchunga. The initial approach went fairly well, the platoon swept through their sector taking 5 casualties. The reinserts got brought in and the wounded got picked up for medical treatment. 2 Platoon then got picked up and moved out towards Mansoa. Upon arrival 2/2 held at the top of the ridge to provide covering fire for 2/1s assault. The platoon effectively cleared out their designated sector of Mansoa, and was setting up defensive perimeter in the northern part of the town. The Platoon then encountered 2x BTRs danger close at their position, these were destroyed in a matter of seconds due to quick reactions from Pte. D. Stirling and former member Rec. Mastersson.

The company set up defensive perimeters around the town of Mansoa when we suddenly received information that our airfield had been captured by the enemy. Right after this message was received the company came under close mortar fire. The platoons were ordered into the jungles to avoid potential spotters to pinpoint locations of our forces.

Seemingly only a matter of days after the potential disaster at Kedougou the Company was once against placed on the back foot. The large scale of the conflict, the variety of enemy forces and the ever evolving political situation meant that the Company never seemed to feel secure for long. The platoons made their way to the old Erinys HQ to regroup and await the inevitable orders to retake the airbase...

"Trouble at Home"

The shocking news of the loss of the closest thing we had to a home while on the campaign had dramatically fallen into enemy hands. Much was still unknown but orders came down that recapturing the airfield was priority one. After careful planning the company was flown out towards the HLS on Mefunvo Island. It was hoped that a sudden counterattack would catch the enemy before they could effectively fortify the island.

1 Platoon landed at the HLS and quickly pushed towards their first objective, a service station on the western side of the island. The platoon met small resistance and quickly cleared it out. They then returned to the jungle in order to move to the second objective. On route they met resistance inside the jungle and started fighting their way through in order to reach the second objective ( the northern part of the airfield). They managed to push through and sweep the barracks and admin buildings.

2 Platoon and FSG landed at their HLS and started moving out to their designated objectives.
They quickly encountered multiple enemy patrols, which they managed to take out quite effectively. After the platoon had dealt with the patrols in the jungle, they proceeded to push towards their objectives. The platoon and FSG cleared the compounds and managed to capture a few PoWs. After securing the PoWs the platoon and FSG started to push towards the comms tower in order to clear it. One of the sections were flanked by the enemy but quickly managed to turn the situation around. After clearing the comms tower, the platoon and FSG pushed towards the hangers. The platoon quickly swept through and continued to push to the south eastern side of the runway in order to clear the remainder of the airfield. FSG was in the meantime setting up a firing position in the ATC tower.

Pathfinders were tasked to push on the southern side of the airfield to gather intel on enemy forces, they ended up assisting the platoons by engaging the enemy from the south, which led to a devastatingly effective crossfire. The company were setting up defensive positions to await the arrival of the friendly backup. The enemy however, sent in reinforcements in order to try to recapture the airfield, it was obvious to both sides that whoever held the airfield held the region so the fighting was brutal. ACOY were able to deal with the enemy counter attack and managed to capture more PoWs.The friendly reinforcements eventually came in, the airfield was recaptured and the repair work could begin.

After the fighting had died down the evidence seemed obvious that the airfield was attacked by mainly Ugandan / FL forces, supported by the Russians in a bid to take control of what was the primary military, logistical and economic hub of the region. This was largely opportunistic and in a response to the Kenyan support of the British. INTEL believed that the enemy’s plan was to cut off the British supply line, which was hoped would render both ZIA and BAF forces unable to be effective and end the conflict. leaving Uganda to mop up the area under a declaration of support for the FL whilst holding the airport under its control. The failure of this foreign backed assault lead to an increase of tension, the conflict was reaching its tipping point, the Major ordered that the conflict be brought to a rapid end by aggressively deploying the Company deep into enemy territory to strike at their key assets and targets.

"Eat Sleep Raid Repeat"

WIth rumours of a staging area being set up for Russian forces, command set an emergency meeting - if Russian forces were able to get directly involved in the conflict the worldwide political repercussions would be huge not to mention that the country would become a flashpoint for an escalating worldwide conflict. Satellite imagery was poured over at length and finally the location of the staging area was pinpointed moreover so was the HQ of the Fighting Lions.

Command came up with a plan - Two daring raids that whilst risky would end the ‘war’ before it could start. The Kenyan Air Force pledged their support to the British-led Mission and immediately dispatched extra CAS aircraft to the AO whilst soldiers from the Intelligence Corps worked through the night to prepare models.

In the dawn hours Company Command met and briefed those who would be leading the mission on the ground. The raids would happen in three stages, each seconds apart; Kenyan CAS aircraft would strike the target with 500lb bombs followed by 908Sqn Apache destroying key targets with precision ordnance. As the dust was settling ACoy infantry would be conducting a rolling disembark from Chinooks, straight into the heart of the target site. It required everyone involved to make the most of the training they had received in ‘air assault excellence’.

As the sun rose the whole company was briefed and shown the models that had been created overnight. 1 Platoon was to hit the western side of the staging area, responsible for the destruction of two patrol bases, 2 Platoon would be taking the helipads in the centre and another patrol base to the east. FSG were to support the company by detonating all enemy assets as they were secured by the platoons. A time limit of 10 minutes was allocated to the raid on the staging area meaning that aggression and organisation was paramount to the success of the mission.

With briefings and run-throughs complete the company boarded the chinooks in quiet optimism, the first raid was underway. As the chinooks neared the HLS, reports of the Kenyan airstrike came through the radio, the first stage had been a success - the apache opened up. The chinooks landed in the centre of the Russian staging area and set right upon the confused and bewildered Russian infantry. The platoons successfully stormed their allocated objectives and several detonations were carried out denying the enemy valuable resources - with all stations having completed their objectives the company withdrew under fire back Mefunvo airport. The Russian staging area was left a smoking, inoperable ruin.

There was little time for tea and medals as the Fighting Lions HQ still remained operable. After a quick resupply and briefing the Company was again underway this time en route to deal a hopefully killing blow to the Fighting Lions. Reports of another successful airstrike came through the radio and the Apache began to strike priority targets. 2 Platoon managed to capture and secure the 2IC of the Fighting Lions and the Company dealt a decisive blow.

The raids on enemy positions had generated some crucial intel, the location of the enemy leader, Sigona. Command quickly made the choice to make his capture or death priority one. The company headed out for possibly the most important mission throughout the campaign, the panther was after it’s prey...

The first objective was to clear the town of Quinhamel and the two small villages outside of it. 1 Platoon landed at their designated HLS and started to move into the small village north west of Quinhamel, they met heavy resistance and started to take casualties, the fighting went on for quite a while but 1 platoon eventually cleared it and pushed into the town of Quinhamel to assist 2 Platoon in clearing it. There was almost nothing left, and 1 platoon had two get their reinserts in before they could push out to a small outpost north east on the opposite of the river to proceed with tasking.

2 Platoon arrived at their HLS and started to push towards Inkisi, the village located south west of Quinhamel, minimum resistance was met, and the Platoon quickly cleared it. The platoon started to push into Quinhamel and began their sweep through the town, met some resistance but was easily dealt with. The town ended up being cleared and 2 Platoon sat up a defensive perimeter awaiting pickup to proceed with tasking.

Pathfinders and FSG immediately pushed out to find locations to set up in right after landing. FSG managed to find a position where they could assist the company assault on Quinhamel, the jungle terrain was definitely not helping them out, and eventually had to relocate to a better position. Pathfinders pushed east of Quinhamel in the meantime in order to spot potential threats and enemies. Both groups managed to spot a great amount of enemies inside Quinhamel, and FSG got the go ahead to light up a small patrol, starting the initial assault on Quinhamel.

The company was awaiting extract in order to continue tasking, but the orders were changed. The entire company was ordered back to the airfield for a quick brief due to some new intel Bedford had received. Singona was located on Mutsamudu island, which was one of the holy islands. The companies tasking was to QRF and clear his military compound and capture him either dead or alive.

After a quick resupply and brief, the company took of from Mefunvo airfield and headed out on the raid. The company got split up and landed in two different location in order to catch him if he tried to escape.2 Platoon stumbled on a patrol near some huts, cleared it out effectively and quickly pushed out towards the military compound, in the meantime 1 Platoon was pushing in from the east and FSG was setting up on the north. The assault was started by Pathfinders, that was sat in two chinooks as gunners. The chinooks were circling the compound and started opening up on it. The company pushed in from all sides after the first few gun runs were made, and started to clear the compound. It was over rather quickly and Singona was confirmed KIA by 2 Platoon. The company cleared the rest and got extracted back to the airfield.

It all ended with a small trip to the beach in Land Rovers where the debrief would take place. We were welcomed by Col. Bedford and one of his minions who started to give their final words, before the end of the campaign the 6th beach party began. An uneasy peace has been established and an uncertain future awaits the region. A once relatively peaceful coexistence of two tribes has now been shattered with violence, hatred and loss. The division of those with and those without has never been more evident between the two tribes. Mabunto in fear of another uprising holds the Binwago under constant surveillance and strict paramilitary control. Politics in the region return to normal with Uganda and Russia denying any involvement , with constant political attempts to undermine the Mabunto regime. Shell and other UK contractors are back working within the area in an uneasy situation to rebuild the damaged infrastructure and maintain the economic viability of the government.

Major's Closing Statement

From my perspective as the Major (mainly looking out of a small window in the C2 helicopter ) this campaign demonstrated the true range of situations we can apply ourselves to within a multitude of environments against a variety of enemies. Our new combat leaders performed above expectations and the company moved forward in both skill, training and cohesion. I want to place special praise on Speight for organising this campaign including the realistic and complex back story, characters and environments, of course supported by the excellent Eldale and the team. Without further ado I am pleased to present the following Awards and Promotions as a result of this campaign.


All those who attended 6/13 missions or more are eligible for the Operation Panther Award.

We had nearly 50 AARs to go through so apologies to all those who missed out, we could not award everyone and congratulations to the following members were received awards.

Mentioned in Dispatches
An award given to a soldier for being mentioned positively repeatedly in campaign AARs (dispatches)

The following soldiers have been awarded 'mentioned in dispatches' for actions carried out to a high standard during Operation Panther that caused them to literally be mentioned within the dispatches of their IC's. Some examples of their AAR mentions are quoted.

Pfc. Gundich
Was essentially the 2IC of 2/1 whenever his IC was away. He was a core member of the section and has done a good job throughout.

Pte. K. Baery
For keeping his cool while driving under heavy fire and for an outstanding performance in the following firefight against a superior enemy force.

A/Cpl T. Ryan (then Pfc.)
Pfc. T. Ryan did an outstanding job in Operation Panther. He was a huge help during the entire campaign. He stepped up and performed all the duties you would expect from a Pfc. Countless times he also filled in as 2IC, both under myself and under A/LCpl. J. Smith. During Panther he was on point in the medic role, treating the section members swiftly and professionally. lastly he kept up an impressive 100% attendance rate.

Pte. Thornberg
A core member of his section, conducting admirable work with the AR, POW taking and has even taken over as 2ic several times when Grape/Gundich has gone down.

Pte. C. Mcloude
He was always on point as a GPMG gunner and was performing as expected from a ¼ member throughout the entirety of panther.

A/LCpl. Lancaster
Improved a lot as an IC during the campaign, he kept showing quality results throughout the campaign and impressed his IC's.

Pfc. Stromback
Stromback was an excellent influence during the campaign and showed himself to be an excellent member of the section with a consistently exceptional performance throughout the 12 weeks.He was particularly outstanding during this mission in his performance as DMR. He provided expertise and exudes quality throughout the evening.

Cpl. McArthur
He is to be commended for their excellent adaptability and quick thinking. He was excellent in their defensive co-ordination of the position and performed outstandingly. McArthur in particular dealt with a constantly changing section and kept a calm,mature head in the face of adversity.

Pfc. Bolton
Destroying 2 BTR’s under fire and in close proximity allowing the Platoon to continue assaulting the position. While on Patrol Pfc. M. Bolton was an individual who showed excellent aggression and fight as DMR in this particular situation.

Pte. A. Harrison
Harrison provided a comic, mature and cool head to S/1/2 that gave them the edge in the field. His
reliability in the field and consistent levels of professionalism were a joy to behold.

Plt Off P.Hill
First off for being a massive help to myself, for having 100% attendance since he has joined flight thats over 6 months he has not missed one mission! He also very heroicly kept going into the 1 platoon HLS that was under very heavy fire to pick up as many people as he could before he would have to leave because he was taking so much fire but he kept going back to rescue!

Off Cdt T.Dexter
Evaded 3 times enemy fast movers and was hit by 2 off them. He distracted the enemy fast movers away from the company endangering his own life in the process.

Military Cross
Awarded for consistent outstanding soldiering and behavior in active operations against the enemy that has contributed towards the success of the Company.

Pte. J. Noergaard
During combat, without hesitation and with clearly recognizing the risk of his own life and limb, Pte. J. Noergaard went to the aid of the severely wounded Pte. K. Baery. He then, while under heavy fire, moved Pte. K Baery to safety. During this heroic action Pte. M. Østergaard and Rec. H. Winter put down a wall of fire to help the struggling Pte. J. Noergaard. In addition he was mentioned by 2 other ICs for his actions; Despite having only basic signals training, he performed competently every single time.

Pfc. B. Larsson
Larsson proved to be genuinely invaluable to the success of not only his section but to the platoon
throughout the campaign. He regularly filled in as 2IC and was operating at a level far beyond what is expected. Outstanding and consistent performance. As well as this consistency he received a particular mention for leading an assault on his on during a key attack during mission 6.

Off Cdt A.Hawkins
He was mentioned positively by not only his IC but 3 other ICs due to his performance in the campaign. He came back with his IC to the airbase while it was being bombed and mortered to save airframes, he took one chinook I took the other. When we were on the ground multiple mortars went off and airframes exploding around us and when we left we were being chased by enemy fast movers.

Conspicuous Gallantry Cross

Awarded for an act or acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy. Usually only one is issued per campaign- the highest campaign medal awarded.

The much coveted CGC is often only awarded to one person in a campaign and this time it was awarded to Private First Class J. Bailey for taking command of the Plt. whilst all IC’s were otherwise engaged at the previous objectives with a great deal of self-reliance and quick thinking, he ensured the Platoon were secure and provided a great deal of comfort for a group that had been through a tremendous deal. Pfc. Bailey was excellent standing in as 2IC and IC for S/1/2 showing a real competence and determination that was impressive. In this campaign, he continued to show his immense worth to the Platoon as he regularly stepped up to the role of 2IC and sometimes IC showing a competence, calmness and proficiency that was invaluable.

Meritorious Service Medal

Last but certainly not least - A/Sgt Eldale and Pfc Speight. Without their tireless efforts both in and out of game, this campaign would never have maintained it’s high quality and allowed us to build upon the previous success of Operation Keystone. Speight particularly impressed on his first major RLC outing with fantastic and regular roleplay as the notorious Col. “Two Tonne” Bedford and both he and Eldale put themselves at the 24 hour beck and call of Company Command to deliver real time intelligence and support.

I am very pleased to announce the promotion of Pfc. Eldale to A/Sgt of 2 Platoon. For his significant contribution to the success of Operation Panther and for his dedication to playing the role of Col. Bedford with professionalism and good humour, we award Pfc Speight the Meritorious Service Medal.

The campaign would have simply been impossible without the contributions of these two supported by the work of their fellow NCGs.

Other Promotions

As well as Eldale, we also saw some other promotions as a direct result of their performance within the campaign:

2nd Lt. Lindholm was promoted to 1Lt. as he continued to demonstrate incredible dedication both in and out of game as a Platoon IC, a Company IC and a new member of HQ. He was been invaluable to command as well as to the company as a whole and has done himself proud.

Sgt Gaynor was promoted to 2Lt for his marvelous work in taking over 1 Platoon and taking them from strength to strength. HQ noted his tireless work and similar levels of effort that he put in while he was running the RTT. We are very happy with his work as Platoon IC and he has truely made the company as a whole more effective.

Congratulations to all of you on a job well done, especially those who have been decorated for their actions during the campaign.

Kind Regards

Major A Knight

[ Edited Wed Jan 27 2016, 10:33PM ]

Back to top
Vet. M. Henderson
Wed Jan 27 2016, 07:32PM

Registered Member #703
Joined: Fri May 25 2012, 12:03PM
Posts: 1266

Ribbons: 11
Medals: 12
Congratulations to all of you have won awards or have been promoted. Job well done.
Back to top

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
Powered by e107 Forum System
This site is powered by ClanWebs, and e107.